Lemon-California Fig Bread with Almond Streusel
Instead of banana bread, switch it up and make lemon quickbread. With almond streusel sprinkled on top and California Figs inside, lemon quick bread is tasty.
Servings 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup water boiling
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled, or vegetable oil
- 1 egg large
- 1 tbsp lemon zest finely grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup almonds toasted, chopped, optional
- Generously coat 9-x-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°. Place figs in medium bowl. Cover with boiling water; let sit 30 minutes. Drain figs, reserving liquid. Return liquid to bowl; whisk in melted butter, egg and lemon zest. In separate large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix liquids into dry ingredients, stirring just until blended. Stir in figs and almonds. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel evenly over top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until pick inserted in center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Run sharp knife around edge of pan and remove bread from pan to wire rack to cool completely. Wrap airtight and store at room temperature or freeze.
- In small bowl combine 1/3 cup chopped almonds, 1/3 cup all purpose flour and 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar. Stir in 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter.
Photo David Campbell