Summertime is all about light fare that doesn’t weigh you down. So, if you’re always on the lookout for
ideas that don’t involve turning on the stove, this melon, fennel, and fig grape salad is up your alley. Add a few strips of prosciutto on top of this grape salad recipe and you’ve got a full meal.
Melon, Fennel & Fig Grape Salad
- 5 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches frisee
- 1 fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fennel oil recipe below
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 melon honeydew, Crenshaw, Casaba, cantaloupe, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 cups small grapes if larger, cut them in half
- 6 Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs halved
- 6 slices prosciutto or Serrano ham
- Make the Fennel Oil: Heat a dry frying pan over medium heat. Add the fennel seeds and shake the pan constantly for 15 to 30 seconds. Do not allow them to turn brown. Grind the fennel seeds in a coffee or spice grinder, or a mortar and pestle until coarsely ground. Place the olive oil and fennel seeds in a jar and shake. Let sit for 2 hours. Strain before using.
- Make the Salad: Place the frisee and fennel in a bowl. Add the fennel oil, salt, and pepper and toss together.
- For each individual serving plate, place a few slices of the melon on the bottom of each plate. Distribute the grape on the plates. Top the melon and grapes with the frisee and fennel. Top with the figs. Place a slice of the prosciutto on top. Serve.