For the best results, buy a hunk of blue cheese and crumble it yourself. Microwaving the figs and port together plumps the figs and also infuses them with flavor.
Mesclun Salad with Blue Cheese, California Figs, and Prosciutto
Prosciutto salad recipes are an easy way to spruce up your greens. Crumble blue cheese with chopped figs on a mesclun salad for a simple side dish.
Servings 4 people
- 1/3 cup ruby port
- 8 Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 shallots minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces mesclun 7 cups
- 8 slices prosciutto 1/8-inch-thick
- 6 ounces blue cheese crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Combine port and figs in bowl and microwave, covered, until port is bubbling, about 1 minute. Let sit until figs have softened, about 5 minutes. Strain figs, reserving port.
- Combine vinegar, shallots, and reserved port in large bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until combined.
- Add mesclun, prosciutto, blue cheese, and figs to bowl with dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Recipe provided by Cook’s Country TV. Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.