Moroccan Sweet Potato and California Fig Salad
Servings 6 servings
California Fig Dressing:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 to ½ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon® Orchard Choice® or Sun-Maid® California Figs stemmed and sliced
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup green olives pitted sliced or chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley mint or combination
- 6 large cabbage or lettuce leaves
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients except olive oil, garlic and figs. Whisk in oil. Stir in figs and garlic. Set aside for one hour or chill for up to overnight.
- For salad, preheat oven to 400°. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with foil or parchment. Toss sweet potato cubes with oil and spread on pan. Sprinkle with salt. Roast for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- For salad, in a large bowl, combine roasted potatoes with bell pepper, red onion, olives and parsley. Remove garlic clove from fig dressing and discard. Add fig dressing to salad ingredients and toss gently.
- To serve, spoon salad into cabbage or lettuce leaves.
Photo and recipe Lorelle Del Matto