Quinoa and California Figs join fresh oranges, ginger and mint in this exclusive recipe from award-winning cookbook author and chef, Joanne Weir.
Quinoa Salad with California Figs, Orange, Ginger and Mint
Next time you need a potluck or picnic dish, make quinoa salad with dried figs, tossed in red wine vinegar dressing and mixed with oranges, ginger, and mint.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 2 seedless oranges sectioned
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 cup sliced Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place the quinoa and water in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the salt and stir together. Bring to a simmer and simmer until the quinoa is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. If there is any excess liquid in the pan, drain. Place the quinoa in a bowl in the refrigerator and let cool.
- When the quinoa is cool, add the orange sections, walnuts, figs, spearmint and grated ginger. Stir together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt. Add the dressing to the quinoa mixture and toss. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
Recipe courtesy of Joanne Weir. Photo courtesy of Village Harvest Rice & Grains. Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Joanne Weir Gets Fresh on American Public Television.