Serve this sauce with Pound Cake or over vanilla ice cream. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, reheat in microwave about 2 minutes.
Fig Cherry Sauce for Ice Cream
When in season, make fig cherry sauce for ice cream. If you’ve wondered how to make cherry sauce from fresh cherries, it’s easy and the flavor is fresh.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 lb frozen sweet cherries
- 1 1/2 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 2 cups sake
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- Bring cherries, figs, 1 1/2 cups sake, sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, ginger, star anise, and salt to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until cherries just begin to break down, about 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup of sake in small bowl, then gently whisk into cherry mixture. Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and coats back of spoon, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, 15 to 30 minutes.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.