Serve this sauce with Pound Cake or over vanilla ice cream. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, reheat in microwave about 2 minutes.
Sake-Simmered California Figs and Cherry Sauce
Servings 8 servings
- 1 lb frozen sweet cherries
- 1 1/2 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 2 cups sake
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- Bring cherries, figs, 1 1/2 cups sake, sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, ginger, star anise, and salt to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until cherries just begin to break down, about 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup of sake in small bowl, then gently whisk into cherry mixture. Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and coats back of spoon, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, 15 to 30 minutes.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.