We prefer to make this recipe with California Golden Figs, but dark purple California Mission Figs can be substituted. For the first 5 minutes of cooking, the cauliflower steams in its own released moisture, so it is important not to lift the lid from the skillet during this time.
Skillet-Roasted Cauliflower with Curry, California Golden Figs, and Almonds
- 1 head cauliflower 2 pounds
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ cups dried Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice Golden California Figs stemmed and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ cup sliced almonds toasted and finely chopped
- head into 3⁄4-inch-thick slices. Cut around core to remove florets; discard core. Cut large florets into 11⁄2-inch pieces. Transfer florets to bowl, including any small pieces that may have been created during trimming, and set aside.
- Combine 2 tablespoons oil and cauliflower florets in 12-inch nonstick skillet and sprinkle with teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper. Cover skillet and cook over medium-high heat until florets start to brown and edges just start to become translucent (do not lift lid), about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to cook, stirring every 2 minutes, until florets turn golden brown in many spots, about 12 minutes.
- Push cauliflower to edges of skillet. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, ginger, curry powder, and cayenne to center and cook, stirring with rubber spatula, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir ginger mixture into cauliflower and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender but still firm, about 3 minutes longer.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in cilantro and figs. Transfer cauliflower to serving platter, sprinkle with almonds, and serve.