Slow Cooked Cider Braised Chicken with California Figs
Cider Braised Chicken with California Figs is the perfect main course for autumn. This slow cooker chicken recipe will warm you from the inside out.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion cut into thin wedges (2 cups)
- 9 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 3 pounds chicken pieces skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh thyme or parsley optional
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat butter and vegetable oil. Add onion and cook over medium-low heat until golden. Remove from heat. Spoon onion into medium bowl. Cut stems from figs; cut each fig in half. Stir figs, ginger and thyme into onions; set aside. Add chicken to skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown chicken over medium-high heat. Pour apple cider into bottom of slow cooker. Add half of onion-fig mixture. Top with chicken pieces and remaining fig mixture. Cover pot with lid. Cook on LOW setting for 5 to 6 hours. Remove chicken, onions and figs to serving platter, reserving cooking liquid in pot. Add lemon juice to liquid. Thicken if desired.* Spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley.
*To thicken cooking liquid, bring to a boil (in small saucepan or in slow cooker on HIGH). Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon apple cider. Add to simmering liquid and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.