This easy Zuppa Inglese recipe layers chocolate pudding sandwiches raspberries, California Figs, and cake in a chilled treat perfect for summer days.
Servings 8 servings
- 2 cups hole milk
- 3 ounces vanilla pudding mix cook-and-serve
- 2 ounces semisweet baking chocolate chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp orange peel finely grated
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 8 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp dark rum or 2 tbsp water mixed with 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries frozen, sweetened
- 24 ladyfingers split lengthwise
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Mix milk and pudding mix in medium saucepan with wire whisk. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Divide pudding between two small bowls. Add chocolate and cinnamon to one; stir until chocolate melts. Stir orange peel into the other. Place plastic wrap on surface of each and chill 1 hour. Meanwhile, bring water and 1/3 cup sugar to boil in small saucepan. Stir in figs, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in rum and set aside to cool. Drain figs, reserving syrup. Combine frozen raspberries and figs.
- Arrange 5 ladyfinger halves in single layer in bottom of 2-quart bowl; brush with about 2 teaspoons syrup. Top with 1/3 cup fruit and 1/3 cup orange cream. Continue layering: 7 ladyfinger halves, 1 tablespoon syrup, 1/2 cup fruit, 1/2 cup chocolate cream, 10 ladyfinger halves, 1 tablespoon syrup, 3/4 cup fruit, remaining orange cream, 12 ladyfinger halves, 1 tablespoon syrup, remaining fruit, chocolate cream, ladyfingers and syrup. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours. To serve, invert onto plate. Whip cream with 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff; pipe or spread over cake.