California Fig and Arugula Salad
Arugula salad recipes introduce a peppery flavor to familiar salads. You'll especially love pairing naturally sweet California Figs in this arugula salad.
Servings 6 people
California Fig and Arugula Salad:
- 1/2 pound pancetta diced
- 1/2 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stems removed, diced
- 6 bunches arugula
- 1 cup pecans toasted
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Fig and Port Vinaigrette (recipe followpepper
Fig and Port Vinaigrette:
- 3 Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Mission California Figs stems removed
- 1 cup ruby Port
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/4 cup blended oil* salt and pepper
Directions for Fig and Arugula Salad:
- In a small pan, saute pancetta over medium heat until crisp; set aside. In a large bowl, toss pancetta, figs, arugula, pecans, and goat cheese with the vinaigrette. Divide between six chilled salad plates. Grind pepper over each salad.
Directions for Fig and Port Vinaigrette:
- Soak figs in port until soft. In a saucepan, reduce port over medium heat to 1/2 cup. Puree figs, port, and vinegar in a food processor. Add shallots and slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
*Blended oil is 3 parts canola oil plus 1 part olive oil. From the girl & the fig restaurant in Sonoma, California.