California Fig and Gorgonzola Toasts
Fig and Gorgonzola Toasts are a simple snack to serve with red wine. Making the gorgonzola appetizers topped with dried figs couldn’t be easier.
Servings 20 appetizers
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 1/3 cup Gabbiano Chianti
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 strip orange peel 2"x4"
- 1 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 20 squares rustic Italian bread 2"
- 1/2 cup Gorganzola cheese
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 20 tiny sprigs rosemary optional
- Remove stems from figs; cut each into 4 slices. Bring wine, orange juice, orange peel and rosemary to a boil in small saucepan; add fig slices. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed; set aside. Preheat oven to 450°F. Brush bread squares with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes or until lightly browned; let cool. Combine cheese and butter in small bowl. Spread mixture onto toasts and top with fig slices. Garnish with tiny rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Photography Annelies Zijderveld