California Fig, Beef and Olive Empanaditas
Mission Fig, Beef & Olive Baked Empanadas are sweet and savory tapas. If you’ve never made empanadas before, this is an easy baked empanada recipe.
Servings 30 servings
- 1/2 lb ground beef lean
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs chopped and stemmed
- 1/3 cup pimento-stuffed olives finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 pie crusts 9" pie
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add beef, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often and crumbling meat into small pieces, until meat is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in figs, olives, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, hot sauce and salt. Blend well. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Let dough rest at room temperature 15 minutes. Working with one pie crust at a time, unfold dough on lightly floured surface. With 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 8 dough circles from each crust. (Save dough scraps, re-roll to cut out 2 additional dough circles from each crust.) Brush rim of each circle with beaten egg. Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of a circle and fold to make a half-moon shape. Press edge to seal; flute edge if desired. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush tops with egg mixture.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Photo David Campbell