California Fig Braised Beef Short Ribs
Servings 6 people
- 6 short ribs 10 oz. each, boneless
- salt & pepper
- 4 tablespoons blended oil
- 3 celery stalks medium dice
- 2 medium onions medium dice
- 1 carrot peeled, medium dice
- 3 Roma tomatoes rough chop
- 1 cup red wine
- 8 cups veal stock
- 2 cups diced Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 tablespoons sliced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Mix together garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme, ½ cup red wine, ½ cup oil, tamari and Worcestershire.
- Pour over ribs and marinate for at least 12 hours.
- Remove ribs from marinade, scrape excess items off and pat dry. Season with salt & pepper.
- Heat blended oil in a large sauté pan over high heat, sear short ribs on all sides until heavily browned. Remove from pan and place in a braising pot.
- Add celery, onions, carrots to pan used for searing ribs, and cook over medium heat until vegetables are caramelized. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze with red wine and reduce by half. Add to braising pot with 8 cups of veal stock and bring to a simmer. Add figs, and bouquet garni, cover and place pan in oven and roast for 4 hours, or until ribs are fork tender. Remove ribs from oven, and let them cool to room temperature. Remove ribs from sauce, strain sauce before returning to pan over medium heat. Reduce sauce by half and add ribs back to heat through.
Recipe courtesy of the girl & the fig.