WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: With minimal cooking, fig spread transforms into a thick, clingy glaze for the grilled chicken thighs. This recipe works equally well with dark purple Mission or Golden Figs.
California Fig Glazed Grilled Chicken with Wild Rice
Grilled chicken recipes are summer favorites, but the secret to a grilled chicken recipe that stands out is brushing on a fig glaze for a tad of sweetness.
Servings 4 people
- 2 packages Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Ready Rice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup juice 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup Orchard Choice Organic Mission California Fig Spread
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs skin removed, trimmed (5- to 7-ounce)
- 3/4 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine orange zest and juice, fig spread, shallot, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken skinned side up over medium-hot fire, covered, until underside is browned and sides are beginning to firm up, 8 to 10 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until well browned and chicken registers 175 degrees, 6 to 8 minutes. Brush chicken all over with ¼ cup of glaze and transfer to platter; tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to bowl and stir in figs and almonds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve rice with chicken, passing remaining glaze separately.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.