Exotic cardamom and mission fig jam made with our California Dried Figs are a unique twist on the cookie plate staple: thumbprint cookies. Making a thumbprint in each cookie and filling with fig spread is super fun for young bakers.
Cardamom Fig Preserve Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups unbleached white all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Mission Fig Jam
- 3 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cardamom, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop cookies by the tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets leaving about 1 inch of space between each. Press your thumb into the top center of each cookie, making a deep depression.
- Fill each depression with fig spread. If desired, chill cookies for 1 hour before baking.
- Bake until the edges just begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then dust with confectioners’ sugar.