Every family has their own version of the Chinese New Year dinner. Roasted duck is a staple at a lot of dinner tables because it is typically something families eat in celebration. Many families, especially those in poor areas, will save all year, so they can have this one day when they can indulge in delicacies like duck. Undoubtedly the best part of this Chinese roasted duck recipe is the figs. Cooking them in duck fat just does something to them that just makes them so good!
Marinate for Extra Flavor: Chinese Roasted Duck Recipe
This Chinese roasted duck recipe is simple as much as it is tasty. It is first marinated overnight in five spice powder and then roasted with shallots, garlic, and Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Dried Figs.
Glaze and Serve
The duck is then topped with a soy glaze to add a bit of extra flavor and color. (To make this dish gluten free, use tamari instead of soy sauce.) This recipe works because of the balance of salty and sweet. The sweetness from the dried figs provide balance to the rich, savory flavor of the duck. It is an all around crowd-pleaser of a dish. The best way to enjoy this dish is with some fresh vegetables and a side of white rice.
Chinese New Year is a time for family, food, and celebration. Once a year, family and friends gather to pay respect to ancestors and celebrate the upcoming year. It is a time that is filled with tradition and festivities. The house is decorated. Children get red envelopes with lucky money. Ancestral altars are cleaned and filled with offerings. And food is at the center of everything. Chinese New Year dinner is the main event during new year’s eve. Families gather around the table to reconnect over a feast. Some staples of a CNY dinner table include chicken, fish, duck, vegetables, and sweets.
Chinese Roasted Duck Recipe with Figs
- 2 tablespoons five spice powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds duck
- 4 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- Mix five spice powder and salt. Coat the duck pieces with the five spice mixture and let it marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the marinated duck pieces into a large baking dish.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and Orchard Choice California Mission Dried Figs. Drizzle the vegetable oil over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- While the duck is baking, combine soy sauce, sugar, and mirin in a sauce pan. Mix and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- After 40 minutes, remove the cover from the baking dish. Brush soy glaze on top of the duck. Increase the oven temperature to broil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Brush with the remaining soy glaze and top with minced green onions before serving.