Meet your next favorite no-bake treat. This rocky road chocolate bar recipe hits so many of the right notes: it’s crunchy, chewy, and so chocolatey.
Notes for the No-Bake Treats
Try not to crush the graham crackers into crumbs, but rather break them into large pieces. If you prefer, peanuts can be substituted for the almonds.
Rocky Road Chocolate Bar Recipe Tips
For ease of removal, the rocky road chocolate bar recipe starts with setting up a foil sling inside the pan. So, once the treats have set up you can pull up on the foil and it easily pops out. Secondly, that foil sling also gets greased down so the bars can release easily from the sling.
You could use either Sun-Maid or Orchard Choice Golden Figs, but we prefer Mission Figs with their jammy familiar fig flavor in the bars. Into a mixing bowl go the figs, a portion of the marshmallows, almonds, and graham cracker pieces.
Take a page from a crispy rice cereal treat recipe, with the marshmallows melting along with the butter until smooth. At this point, the chocolate and corn syrup are added. Corn syrup gives the right texture to the bars.
Once melted, the butter marshmallow mixture gets folded gently into the mixing bowl of dry ingredients. Then, scrape the rocky road bars into the prepared pan, spreading them evenly with a greased offset spatula. Chill the bars until firm.
No Bake Rocky Road Bars with California Figs
- 6 graham crackers whole, broken into 1" pieces
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows lightly packed
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped into 1/4" pieces
- 1 cup almonds whole with skin, toasted and chopped coarse
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped coarse
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with a foil sling and grease the foil. Toss the graham cracker pieces, 1 cup of the marshmallows, figs, and the almonds together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the remaining 1 ½ cups marshmallows and cook, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chocolate and corn syrup and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Working quickly, pour the chocolate mixture over the graham cracker mixture and fold gently until evenly coated. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press evenly into the pan with a greased spatula. Refrigerate the bars until firm, about 2 hours. Remove the bars from the pan using the foil sling, cut into squares, and serve.