Chunky Northwest Pear and California Fig Sauce
Cheese boards or sandwiches benefit from this chunky fig and pear sauce. Or, try serving a side of this pear sauce with chicken or pork for an easy garnish.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 lbs Bosc Pears or Northwest d'Anjou (or combination), firm, ripe
- 9 ounces Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 1/2 cup orange juice or white wine (savory variation only)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- Peel and core pears; cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Remove stems and cut figs into 1/2-inch pieces. Combine pears, figs, juice and salt in large, heavy saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 to 35 minutes or until fruit is tender but still holds its shape; stir occasionally. Stir in brown sugar and flavoring, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Flavoring: Classic Cinnamon-Clove: Stir in 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. -Ginger – Five Spice: Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger and 1/8 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice Seasoning (optional). -Savory White Wine and Thyme: Use white wine instead of juice. Sauté 1/4 cup chopped shallots in 1 tablespoon butter until soft. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon dry thyme leaves.