Skip the takeout—you can make fast food fresh at home with a few simple tips that start with two bags: Taylor Farms asiago kale salad kits and our Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Dried Figs.
During the summer, chill out and snip open the bags, simply slicing the figs and tossing the salad for a meal to help you keep your cool. In autumn and winter, try our warm bowls. The beauty of the greens in the asiago kale salad kits is that they’re great raw. Cook them like we do below and you get a heartier bowl, especially when crunchy salt and pepper chickpeas and protein-rich quinoa get added into the mix. The dried figs really shine here adding a pop of sweetness to a savory bowl.
As you think about the week ahead, pick up bags of asiago kale salad kits and our dried figs to make fresh food fast.
It’s easy to meal prep this recipe especially since it serves four days of food perfect for a work week. Make a pot of quinoa while the chickpeas crisp up in the oven. Cook the kale greens from the salad kit for just a few minutes or until they lose their crunch. Slice figs. If you like, empty the bagged salad cheese and crush croutons into breadcrumbs—stir in a bowl and zap in a microwave for a few seconds—just enough so the cheese binds with the breadcrumbs.
Warm Asiago Kale + Dried Fig Salad Quinoa Bowls
Salt + Pepper Chickpeas
- 1 (12.5 oz) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Coarse kosher
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
Lemon Garlic Kale with Figs
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Taylor Farms Asiago Kale Salad Kits
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Orchard Choice® or Sun-Maid® California Dried Figs stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- Make Chickpeas: Preheat oven to 400F. Place a piece of parchment paper in a half sheet pan. Rinse chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels or clean cloth towel. In a medium bowl, tumble chickpeas with oil, salt, and pepper until coated. Transfer to prepared half sheet pan jostling to evenly distribute them. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Make Quinoa: Toast rinsed quinoa in a saucepan set over medium heat until aromatic and nutty, about 2-3 minutes. Pour in vegetable broth or water and crank heat to high until boiling. Once boiling, cover and turn heat down to simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and steam quinoa for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Cook the Kale: Fry garlic in 1 teapsoon canola until golden over medium heat. Stir in the kale greens mix, frying lightly until coated. Then, pour on one packet of the lemon dressing and 1/2 cup water until cooked, about 3-4 minutes. Season to taste. Remove from the heat.
- From the Asiago Kale kit: Crush croutons in their bag. Mix them with the grated cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 15 seconds to bind them.
- Assemble four bowls: Portion out 1/4 of each of these ingredients in four segments of the bowl: cooked kale greens, quinoa, chickpeas, and cheesy breadcrumbs. Tile 1/4 of the mission dried figs in the middle of the bowl. Right before serving drizzle each bowl with remaining lemon garlic dressing from bagged Asiago Kale kit. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over each bowl.
Recipe and photos by Annelies Zijderveld