Puff pastry appetizers with cream cheese are the kind of small bite welcomed with wine or as an addition to a cheeseboard. Serve these fig feta puff pastry parcels while still warm and they might quickly become your favorite way to open up the appetite.
Puff Pastry Appetizers with Labne Cream Cheese: Filled with Figs
Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid California Dried Figs are so versatile, whether served whole, sliced, rehydrated or here, chopped down almost to a mince for a chewy filling that’s satisfying in each bite. Try our Mission Dried Figs for the flavor you’ve come to know in figs from the popular nostalgic cookie. Or, try our Golden Dried Figs for a more delicate, nutty taste—like we do in the filling for our puff pastry parcels.
Feta Puff Pastry: Savory and Sweet
The foundation for this filling is creamy rich labne, a kefir cheese chock full of good for you bacteria that lends a tangy note more often associated with Greek yogurt. Mixed with our sweet dried figs, we add in feta cheese for its briny salinity and to balance the sweet with the savory.
Stock Up on Phyllo
If you can clear a bit of freezer space to keep phyllo dough sheets on hand, you are on your way to easy appetizers in no time. Just thaw according to manufacturer’s instructions. You can make the parcels smaller or larger, depending on the size you slice each sheet. Below in the recipe we suggest cutting each sheet into 9 squares and you’re good to go. The main thing to look for is the puff pastry parcels to be golden brown on the outside.
Golden Fig Feta Puff Pastry Parcels
- 7 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Golden Dried Figs , stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup labne cream cheese
- 1/2 bunch parsley leaves
- 4 scallions , root ends cut off
- 4 ounces feta , crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 3 sheets puff pastry , thawed to manufacturer's instructions
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, mix figs, labne, parsley, scallions, feta, chile flakes, and salt until chunky.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into 9 squares. Place 1 tablespoon fig labne filling in the center of each square. Brush pastry square edges with egg wash. Fold pastry corners up into the middle. Pinch to seal. Brush pastry with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.