Creamy, rich, and refreshing, this fig lassi is the perfect drink that will bring a boost of energy and nutrients to your day. This yogurt-based drink is simply made with a 3-ingredient base and naturally sweetened with the Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Dried figs. Grab this easy recipe to enjoy for breakfast or a midday snack!
Lassi is a blended dairy-based drink that has originated centuries ago in the Punjab region of India. It is traditionally made with a wooden churner and enjoyed as a coolant after being out in the summer heat. This drink is rich in nutrients like calcium which supports bone health and provides gut-friendly probiotics from the yogurt. Typically, lassi can be made both sweet and salty with flavor add-ins or garnish like fresh herbs, dried fruit, nuts, and seeds. Although there are endless flavor variations to choose from, fig lassi seems to be a popular request in my household.
The addition of dried figs can contribute a natural sweet touch along with a nutrient boost to this energizing drink. Figs can add to the bone health benefits of lassi since they are a great source of minerals like calcium and phosphorous. Incorporating dried figs in your diet can also give a dose of dietary fiber which is linked to reducing heart disease risk and improved digestive health.
Blending figs into lassi can provide a source of complex carbohydrates which can be a steady source of energy to fuel your day. Whether you are tired from a long day of work, in need of an energizing snack to support your workout or are on a hunt for a quick nutrient boost, this fig lassi can be a great pick. This ancient drink not only tastes delightful but also is a nutrient powerhouse filled with minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Enjoy this drink chilled and garnished with crushed nuts, basil seeds, and fresh mint.
Fig Lassi — Yogurt Drink with Figs
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs , stems removed (about 8 figs)
- 1 tablespoon basil seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon crushed almonds
- Fresh mint leaved
- Sliced dried figs
- Blend the yogurt, milk, and dried figs until smooth. Add a splash of water if you would like a thinner consistency. Stir in basil seeds and ground cardamom.
- Pour into serving glasses and garnish with crushed almonds, mint leaves, and/or dried fig slices. Serve chilled or over ice.