Looking for a new twist on honey mustard? Orchard Choice California Figs made into jam is great on toast, but also makes a wonderful base for a fruity vinaigrette. It stands up to and showcases the powerful flavors of hearty mustard, dense vinegar and the sweet acidity of oranges. This is a versatile, thick dressing that will keep in refrigerator, in a covered container for up to 4 days. Try it on an arugula and romaine salad. Spread it on a sandwich with roasted turkey and freshly sliced ripe pears. It’s delicious with goat cheese or an aged sheep’s cheese on a cheese tray or served alongside a fancy veal chop, seared duck breast or grilled salmon.
California Fig Mustard Vinaigrette
Instead of buying bottled salad dressing, make mustard vinaigrette from scratch. California Figs add sweetness to this tangy mustard vinaigrette recipe.
Servings 32 tablespoons
- ½ cup Orchard Choice California Orange Fig Spread
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- Juice and zest of one large orange
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk the Orchard Choice California Orange Fig Spread, vinegar, mustard, orange juice and zest, salt and pepper. While whisking vigorously, drizzle the oil in a steady stream until fully incorporated and smooth.
This recipe can also be prepared in a blender or food processor. Recipe and photo courtesy of Tami Weiser of Weiser Kitchen.