A brownie bites recipe from scratch comes in handy. You don’t need boxed mixes to make brownies that will perfect for packing in lunchboxes, to tote to summer picnics, or bake for a sweet afternoon snack. Check out what makes these little bites brownies so good.
Two Kinds of Chocolate
Chocolate chips or morsels will give the brownies deep chocolatey flavor, but this recipe also includes chocolate wafers that give it a chocolatey crunch too. You’ll love that bit of texture as they get pulverized into fine crumbs. Also, while coffee isn’t chocolate, did you know that adding in coffee into chocolate recipes like this one actually amplifies the chocolate flavor? A little bit goes a long way and here, we are using instant coffee powder.
Not Too Sweet
Most of the sweetness in this brownie bites recipe from scratch actually comes from the chocolate chips and chocolate wafers. There’s confectioner’s sugar added too but not a high amount. And, the brownies include Sun-Maid and Orchard Choice California Figs which add natural sweetness from the fruit but also add fiber and other health benefits too. We like the pop of contrast of Golden Figs adorning the brownies, but you could use Mission Figs for a jammy flavor and color that blends into the rich brown tones of the brownies.
The beauty of the no-bake brownie is literally how it comes together as it chills in the fridge. This recipe is easy too—hot cream melts the chocolate chips to make ganache that gets mixed into a bowl of chopped nuts, pulverized chocolate wafers that are crumb-like, confectioners sugar, and chopped figs. Then, the little bites brownies get transferred to the prepared pan, and then, finally, are left in the fridge for several hours to set-up.
Fudgy Fig No-Bake Brownie Bites Recipe from Scratch
- 9 ounces chocolate wafers Famous® Chocolate Wafers
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped, toasted
- 3 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels or semisweet morsels
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee optional
- 1/2 cup figs or toasted nuts, finely chopped
- Line 24 mini muffin pan cups with decorative paper or foil liners (or line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil or plastic wrap, extending up sides); set aside.
- Whirl wafers in food processor (or place in sealable plastic bag and crush with rolling pin) to make fine crumbs. Place in large bowl. Stir in figs, nuts, confectioners’ sugar and salt.
- Pour half and half into microwave-safe bowl and heat on 100% power in microwave oven for 30 seconds or until boiling. (Or bring half and half to a boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat). Add chocolate morsels and set aside for 1 minute to soften. Stir until chocolate melts.
- Stir in vanilla and coffee granules. Pour over fig mixture and stir until blended. While warm, spoon brownie mixture into lined muffin cups or baking pan and press with back of oiled spoon to an even layer.
- Sprinkle with topping. Chill 2 hours or until set.
- If using a square pan, cut into 24 brownies. Store in the refrigerator.