Fudgy California Fig-Nut Brownies
Forget cake brownies, this is the best fudgy brownie recipe. These fig brownies are best eaten with a glass of milk.
Servings 16 brownies
- 3 eggs large
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray. In medium bowl lightly beat eggs with wire whisk. Add sugar and whisk until well-blended. Whisk in oil and vanilla. Melt chocolate in small bowl in microwave oven on 50 percent power for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Whisk chocolate into egg mixture. In small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and salt. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture, blending until smooth; batter will be stiff. Stir in figs and walnuts. Spread batter in baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into 16 brownies.
Photo: David Campbell