Greek pizza — what are your essential ingredients? We envision a pizza with figs and olives as a starting point. Read on to hear more about why this is a great pick for a vegetarian pie.
Pizza with Figs, but What Kind
Our Sun-Maid and Orchard Choice California Dried Mission Figs are our go-to for this particular pizza with figs. The familiar deep sweetness of black mission figs can stand up to an array of Greek herbs and salty bold olives. Our Golden Figs could work too, just expect a more delicate fig flavor that is a little nutty.
Greek Pizza that’s Veggie Forward
Eat the rainbow—just on a pizza crust. We load up on zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, and red onion in a pizza where each bite brings something different and celebrates veggies in a colorfully topped savory pie.
A Taste of Greece: Extras to Take It Over the Top
If you’ve ever eaten a Greek salad (or an Israeli salad for that matter) you’ll know the secret is in the herbs. So, our Greek pizza combines thyme, oregano, and rosemary with feta crumbles, briny kalamata olives, and the unexpected twist of pine nuts.
Mediterranean Pizza with California Figs & Feta
- 1 package refrigerated dough for pizza crust (13.8-ounce)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped or pressed garlic
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper or yellow or green bell pepper
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crumbled rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400?. Unroll pizza dough onto large oiled baking sheet. Pat dough to 15-x-10-inch rectangle. Set aside. In large skillet, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat until sizzling. Stir in tomatoes, zucchini and bell pepper. Stir and cook for 1 minute, until tomatoes start to break down. Add figs, herbs and 2 tablespoons water. Cook and stir 1 minute or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on pizza dough. Spread fig mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle with feta cheese, onion, olives and nuts, dividing evenly. Bake at 400? for 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool slightly. Cut pizza lengthwise into three even strips and crosswise 6 times to make 18 rectangles.