Mild Italian sausage can be substituted for the hot.
One-Pot Sausage, Kale, California Figs and White Bean Pasta
One pot sausage recipes make less mess. This One Pot Pasta with Kale, Figs & Sausage is a family favorite.
Servings 4 people
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage casings removed, sausage broken into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 can cannellini beans rinsed (15-ounce)
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and quartered
- 8 ounces orecchiette 2 1/4 cups
- 12 ounces kale stemmed and chopped
- 1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese grated (1/2 cup), plus extra for serving
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and cook until lightly browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion and beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, fennel seeds, oregano, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth and water and bring to boil. Stir in figs, orecchiette and half of kale. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 4 minutes. Without stirring, place remaining kale on top of orecchiette. Cover and continue to cook until kale is just tender, about 4 minutes longer.
- Stir to incorporate kale into orecchiette. Simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until most liquid is absorbed and orecchiette is al dente, 3 to 6 minutes. Off heat, stir in Pecorino and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with extra Pecorino.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.