The other white meat isn’t pork and turkey shouldn’t be saved just for Thanksgiving. The brilliance of this turkey schnitzel recipe is how it’s ready in minutes and only wants a big fresh salad alongside.
How to Make This Turkey Schnitzel Recipe
Start with slices of turkey breast or turkey cutlets that are all the same width. This will ensure they cook in the skillet evenly. A schnitzel can be pork or chicken and in this case, is turkey that is pounded thin. Then, it’s dunked in egg wash before being dredged in breadcrumbs and pan-fried.
A pro-tip for turkey is to season it with salt and pepper before it cooks—but also to season each layer—the egg wash, and the breadcrumbs to ensure the most flavorful schnitzel.
Place a paper towel-lined plate on the counter near the stovetop to transfer the turkey schnitzel after the outside is golden brown.
Citrus Fig Relish
Then in the same skillet, after the turkey schnitzel pieces are all cooked, you’ll saute the onion in the same turkey drippings. To that, add in the figs, lime zest, and water. Cook until the liquid evaporates. At this point, you’ll stir in the citrus sections, ginger, citrus, and honey.
Earthy and sweet, Mission Figs are our pick for the relish. You could also use delicately sweet and nutty Golden Figs for a twist.
The juicy oranges and figs with just a bit of zesty ginger and tangy honey come together add a fresh finish to this easy dish. We like it tossed with arugula or spinach as an alternate way to serve it, with the turkey schnitzel on the side.
Citrus Fig Sauce + Sliced Turkey Cutlet Recipes
- 1 pound fresh turkey breast slices or cutlets*
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil divided use
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and halved or quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 cup orange sections 2 large oranges, peel and all membrane removed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Season turkey slices on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add turkey; cook 2 to 4 minutes on each side, till browned and cooked through. Remove from heat to warm serving platter. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion; stir about 1 minute to soften. Add figs, 1/3 cup water and zest; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes, until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in orange sections, ginger, parsley, lime juice and honey. Serve over turkey.