The best flank steak sandwiches offer a mix of tastes and textures. Build your flank steak sandwich with crunchy vegetables, creamy cheese, sweet dried figs, and savory condiments for an unforgettable meal.
Saucy Spiced Fig Flank Steak Sandwiches
- 1.5 pounds flank steak
- 1 3/4 cups Fig BBQ Sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced into thick (1-incrounds
- 1 loaf French bread
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs , stems removed, halved lengthwise
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- Put the steak in a zip-top bag. Pour over 1 cup of Fig BBQ Sauce, then seal the bag, removing as much air as possible before closing. Marinate the steak in the refrigerator at least four hours, or let it marinate overnight.
- Heat the grill to medium (350 degrees).
- Wipe the marinade off the steak, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Discard the marinade.
- Grill the steak and the red onion rings until the steak is cooked to your liking (about 12 minutes for medium-rare and the onions have grill marks and are starting to soften. Let the steak rest about 10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- Cut the French bread into four pieces, then split each piece lengthwise (4 sandwiches). Spread the bread with butter, then toast briefly on the grill, about 30 seconds.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Pile the lettuce, sliced steak and grilled onions on the bread, then top with the halved figs, crumbled goat cheese, and more Fig BBQ sauce.