Summer California Fig, Feta and Watermelon Salad
Beat the summer heat with fig watermelon feta salad. Salty and sweet, feta watermelon salad is great with BBQ. It’s a refreshing way to stay cool in summer.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar*
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cups baby arugula or other greens about 9 ounces
- 4 cups cubed watermelon 1/2-inch
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese regular, reduced-fat or fat-free
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Remove stems from Figs and discard. Cut each Fig lengthwise into slices.
- Pour vinegar into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in Figs, onion, salt and several grinds of black pepper. Cool to room temperature, stirring often. Stir in 1/3 cup olive oil. Taste and add more olive oil, salt and pepper, if needed to taste.
- To serve, spread arugula leaves on a platter. Spoon melon cubes in center, on arugula. Spoon Fig-balsamic mixture around melon. Sprinkle cheese and mint over salad. Toss gently to serve.
*To use regular (dark) balsamic vinegar, in step 2, simmer until reduced to ½ cup. Stir in 1/2 cup olive oil. Photography and recipe Lorelle Del Matto
Recipe and photo by Lorelle Del Matto