What makes a great party appetizer is something you can prepare at the last minute and while these California Fig Skewer appetizers involve infusing the cheese and California Figs ahead of time, assembly is quick and easy. Besides, who doesn’t love easy Mediterranean appetizer recipes, especially ones that pair perfectly with red wine?
California Fig Skewers Appetizer
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 16 bamboo skewers
- 16 Blue Ribbon® Orchard Choice® or Sun-Maid® California Figs stemmed
- 16 mozzarella balls drained and patted dry on a paper towel
- 1 red pepper cut into 16 pieces
- 16 pieces green onion 2" lengths
- 16 pieces dry Italian salami or whole pitted olives
- Make marinade: In a small bowl, combine wine vinegar, honey, salt and crushedvred pepper. Stir to dissolve honey and salt. Stir in parsley, thyme, garlic and olivevoil. Transfer half of marinade to a separate bowl. Stir Figs into one bowl; add 1 tablespoon water. Combine cheese and remaining marinade. Cover both bowls and chill for 8 hours or up to two days, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble skewers, Drain Figs and cheese, reserving marinade andvdiscarding garlic. Alternate one of each item (Fig, cheese ball, bell pepper, greenvonion and salami or olive onto each skewer. For larger skewers, alternate two of each item on each skewer.
- If you don’t have small appetizer-size skewers use longer ones and thread 2 pieces of each ingredient onto each.
- Cut dry salami into 4 (¼-inch) slices. Then cut each slice into 4 quarters.
Recipe and photo by Lorelle Del Matto