Chocolate Pot de Creme with California Fig Almond Topping
Dessert doesn't have to be hard. Our Easy Chocolate Pot de Creme with Fig Almond Topping is for chocolate lovers!
Servings 8 servings
Chocolate Pot de Creme:
- 1 cup half & half
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder or instant espresso
- 3 egg yolks large
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
Fig Almond Topping
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped
- 3 tbsp almond liqueur
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp whole almonds toasted, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
Make Pot de Crème:
- In small saucepan, heat half & half, over medium heat till simmering. Stir in chocolate and remove from heat. Set aside for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, till chocolate melts. Stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla and coffee powder.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt. Whisk in evaporated milk. Slowly whisk in chocolate mixture. Ladle or pour mixture into 8 (2/3-cup) ramekins or other baking dishes.
- Place ramekins in a large roasting pan. Pour just-boiled water into roasting pan, filling to reach about1/3 of the way up sides of ramekins. Cover tightly with foil; poke holes in foil for steam escape. Carefully place roasting pan on middle rack in oven (use oven mitts to protect hands). Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges of the custards are set and the center is quivery, like firm gelatin when shaken slightly. Remove ramekins from water bath and cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Cover and chill for 4 hours or up to two days.
- In small saucepan, combine figs, almond liqueur, water and sugar. Stir over medium-low heat for 1 minute, until mixture is warm and almost dry. Spoon figs over custards, dividing evenly. Top with almonds just before serving.
Photo and recipe: Lorelle Del Matto