How Do You Make a Mug Cake from Scratch
You don’t have to bake a big cake or cupcakes in order to satisfy a craving for cake. With a few ingredients you can make microwave cake in a cup. Pull out your favorite microwave-safe coffee cup or mug and we will show you how to make mug cake with Nutella and figs.
Perhaps you’re already a fan of mug cake or mug brownies, but we would bet you haven’t tried it our way. Hazelnuts, chocolate, and our Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Dried Figs bring out the best in each other.
There are a few more ingredients in our version, but trust us, they yield a chocolatey cake with terrific texture. The figs add a chewy note of dried fruit.
For the best texture, we whisk together the dry ingredients separately. Then, in the mug, we mix together the wet ingredients until smooth and completely combined. Next, the dry ingredients get stirred into the mug until just incorporated into the wet ingredients. Then, a final quick stir of the figs.
All microwaves are not the same, so we suggest making the microwave cake in a cup for 1 minute and then checking in on the progress at 15 second or 30 second marks, going no further than a total microwave time of 2 minutes.
A quick sprinkle of flaky sea salt completes this single serve dessert that is decadent and especially so if you decide to dollop on whipped cream or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We also find a dollop of something tangy like creme fraiche or plain yogurt a standout garnish.
How to Make Mug Cake without Cocoa Powder
We add extra chocolate flavor by whisking in cocoa powder, but you could skip that step if you want a lighter chocolate flavor brought by Nutella.
Can Mug Cake be Made in a Bowl
You don’t actually need a mug to microwave cake in a cup, but you could bake it in a bowl. One thing we do find makes it easier to clean afterwards is to mist the mug or microwave-safe bowl with cooking spray.
Microwave Cake in a Cup No Milk Needed
While this mug cake with Nutella includes ingredients that are typically found in cake recipes, no milk is necessary.
Microwave Mug Cake with Nutella and Figs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1/4 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Dash salt
- Dash baking powder
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Dried Figs
- In a bowl, whisk dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- In a mug, whisk together wet ingredients until smooth: oil, chocolate hazelnut spread, vanilla, and egg.
- Stir dry ingredients into mug until combined. Then, just stir in the figs.
- Microwave the mug cake for 2 minutes, checking at 1 minute and 1:30 to check doneness by touching the top of the cake which should lose the bulk of its glossiness.
- Sprinkle flaky sea salt (like Maldon) on top before eating as is. To serve a la mode: add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or spoonful of plain yogurt.