Soft Tacos with Chicken, Black Beans and California Figs
Servings 4 servings
- 2 3/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil such as canola or olive
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to your taste
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 can black beans drained (15-ounce)
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, halved and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas or small whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- Toppings (optional): Sliced green onion, fresh chopped cilantro, shredded cabbage or lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream
- Combine chili powder, cumin and salt. Stir to blend.
- Toss chicken with half of spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until browned and cooked through. Remove to warm serving bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet and return to medium heat. Add bell pepper, and onion. Stir and cook until onion is soft. Stir in garlic and crushed red pepper. Add black beans, figs, water, tomato paste, lime juice and remaining spice mixture. Stir and cook for 1 minute or until hot and blended. Stir in chicken. Blend well.
- Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.