During the summer, when stone fruits and strawberries are at their ripest make this fruit pizza recipe. Keep your cool when the days get hot with dessert—bake a fruit pizza with sugar cookie dough crust. We get that the idea of a dessert pizza might be a stretch but it’s a fun fork-and-knife fruit dessert great for summer.
Golden Figs for Sunny Days
Sun-Maid and Orchard Choice California Dried Golden Figs are slightly nutty and delicately sweet. They add sparkle to sunny days. You could also swap in Mission Dried Figs instead and you’ll get more of a familiar fig flavor. Either way you slice it the California grown figs are the star of this fruit pizza recipe.
Strawberries and plums add a bit of flair when paired up with figs. Often strawberries are known for their sweetness, but Golden Dried Figs draw out their tangy side too. With slices of plums that swing tart and sweet the fruits all come together for a juicy flavor match-up. We like greengage and mirabelle plums, but you could use any kind of plum or nectarines would work too.
Speaking of which, macerating the plums and strawberries with dried figs and ginger does double duty. The gingered sugar draws out the juices inside the fresh fruit and that fruit syrup infuses into the dried figs.
Fruit Pizza with Sugar Cookie Dough
Making a giant sugar cookie dough is the first place to start for fruit pizza. The dough comes together in a pinch and then it’s just a matter of pressing out the dough until it’s even and level. The cream of tartar keeps the texture of the cookie chewy and soft. The fruit pizza with sugar cookie dough needs to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Frost + Chill
Draining the fruit syrup from the macerated fruit into the Greek yogurt sweetens it just enough letting the yogurt continue to be tangy to offset the sweetness of the cookie crust. A large offset spatula helps spread the Greek yogurt. Then, top it with the strained fruit and tiny mint leaves. Chill for 10 minutes or longer to set the fruit pizza before slicing and serving.
Summer Fruit Pizza with Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1-inch ginger root , peeled and grated with a Microplane
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 plums
- 9-10 strawberries
- 7 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Golden Figs
Sugar Cookie Crust
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
Greek Yogurt Frosting
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
Macerate the Fruit
- Scrape the ginger root into the sugar and stir with a fork. Halve the plums, cutting each half into ¼-inch slices. Toss all the fruit in the gingered sugar and set aside. Cut the tops off of the strawberries and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Remove the stems from the dried figs and cut them in half. Gently toss the fruit in the gingered sugar. Set aside.
Make the Giant Sugar Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Use a 12" nonstick pizza pan or mist with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk the salt, baking powder, and flour for 30 seconds to combine them.
- Cream butter and sugar for 1 minute on medium speed. Mix in vanilla extract. Add in egg until incorporated into the batter. Stop the machine and scrape down the walls. Pour all of the whisked dry ingredients into the bowl. Mix until it just comes together. Transfer the batter to a nonstick 12” pizza pan, spreading the cookie dough out from the center to the edges. Place a piece of plastic wrap over top and using the bottom of a juice glass or glass jar or your fingers to press and smooth the dough until even.
- Bake on the center rack until golden brown, about 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven but leave the cookie on the pan so the residual bottom heat will keep baking the cookie and firm it up. Cool completely.
Make the Greek Yogurt Spread
- Set a strainer over a bowl to capture the fruit juices as you drain the fruit. Set the fruit aside. Whisk the fruit juice into the Greek yogurt along with the lemon zest.
Decorate the Fruit Pizza
- Once the cookie is completely cooled, transfer it to your serving platter or large cutting board—however you’re planning to serve it. Spread the yogurt onto the giant cookie and tile the fruit on top. Garnish with tiny mint leaves.Cut into slices and serve (or chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before serving to “set” the fruit.