After Thanksgiving every year, we strip what turkey remains into shreds. Do you ever wonder what to cook with leftover Thanksgiving turkey? How about turkey fig curry?
Curry: What to Cook with Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey
Recipes for Black Friday or Saturday should be easy, delicious, and different than what was served at the big feast. Enter Turkey Sweet Potato Fig Curry. By adding California Figs and California sweet potatoes, you add a touch of sweetness to a very homey dish.
After the Thanksgiving meal, when you’re putting away the leftovers, it’s time to shred the turkey (and save the bones to make homemade turkey stock—it’s so worth it).
What Kind of Figs to Use
Sun-Maid and Orchard Choice Mission Figs are our preferred choice here, with their jammy sweetness, but you could also use Golden Figs, which have more of a tangy, nutty taste that’s delicately sweet.
You can dice the sweet potato, onion and green bell pepper in advance. This will make dinner such a breeze, once the turkey gets shredded.
Dinner in 15 Minutes
Steam or boil the sweet potatoes in a small saucepan until almost fork tender. Over medium-high heat, heat the coconut oil and sauté the onion and bell pepper. Then, curry and salt go into the pan to brown them. Add turkey and figs, tossing to coat. Stir in coconut milk and water, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom. Add sweet potato and simmer. Spoon the curry over the rice. Garnish with green onions.
How to Serve Turkey Fig Curry
Spoon the sauce over cooked jasmine rice or egg noodles. This recipe is simple and the ultimate comfort food. This curry might become a new tradition!
More Ideas of What to Cook with Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey
Turkey Sweet Potato Fig Curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 cups cooked shredded white and dark turkey meat
- 3 cups peeled and ½-inch chopped California sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ cups halved Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs (about 5 ounces)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk 14-ounce
- 1 cup water
- Cooked rice
- 1 scallion greens only, snipped with kitchen shears
- Steam or boil the sweet potatoes in a small saucepan until almost fork tender, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place a 3-quart sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Sauté the onion and bell pepper, stirring often, for 7 minutes or until cooked through and aromatic. Sprinkle curry and salt into the pan. Toss the ingredients in the curry and brown them for 1 minute. Add the turkey and figs to the pan. Toss to coat. Stir in the coconut milk and water, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom. Add the sweet potato. Simmer the curry for 5 minutes. Spoon the curry over the rice, garnish with the green onions.