A good cheese plate has something for everyone. During fresh fig season make Joanne Weir’s warm fresh fig spread recipe. One taste of this fig spread and cheese is a taste of summer.
The Right Dried Figs for Cheese Plates
Our Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid California Dried Figsare a natural addition to any cheeseboard. And, we typically recommend both our Mission Dried Figs and Golden Dried Figs for their unique flavors. Our black mission dried figs offer an intense sweetness while our golden figs are slightly nutty and mildly sweet.
A Fig Spread Recipe to Freshen Up the Cheese Platter
When setting up a cheese board, the idea is a bounty of flavors and textures all on one platter. Apart from our California Dried Figs, we suggest different kinds of nuts, crackers, and of course, cheese. But one piece of the puzzle that can be overlooked is thinking about what kind of fresh fruit to include.
Is there anything better than fresh fig season? When figs ripen they are plump and juicy and truly live up to the moniker “nature’s candy.” Now, imagine cooking those figs down in butter and rosemary until they are jammy, mixing them with toasted nuts. You’ll want to spoon Joanne Weir’s fig spread on everything. And we’ve got a few ideas beyond the cheese plate.
Fig Spread Beyond the Cheese Plate
Skip the cheese plate and head straight for dessert. Spoon the warm fresh fig spread onto ricotta and drizzle with honey for a quick and simple summertime sweet ending. Or, perhaps top crostini with the ricotta and a dollop of the fig spread as an easy appetizer with serious flavor appeal.
Joanne Weir brings her love of California Figs to this warm fresh fig spread recipe, but she doesn’t stop there. Lighten up at lunch and make her fig orange quinoa salad with ginger and mint. Serve up a sensational side dish of her freekeh pilaf with figs and walnuts. Dig in at dinner time with her sliced turkey cutlets and citrus fig sauce. Save space at dessert for her fig armagnac ice cream. We could go on—but first, make the fresh fig spread.
Warm Fresh Fig Spread
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound fresh figs , stems removed and very coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon aged balsamic
- Kosher salt
- Cheese Board with Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid California Dried Figs and Nuts
- Preheat an oven to 375F. Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until light golden, very hot to the touch and aromatic, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Melt the butter and warm the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 15 seconds. Do not let it turn brown. Add the figs and rosemary and stir until the figs are warm and begin to soften. Place the figs in a bowl, add the walnuts, balsamic and season with salt.