You know how often when it comes to dessert, people self-select into the chocolate camp or the fruit camp? We can’t decide and love both kinds of sweets! But, when the weather dips and we pull out thick sweaters, we want big mugs of tea and cozy desserts, like baked apple slices in brown butter. This recipe is weeknight-easy and tastes better even later when the flavors have had time to meld.
Tips for Baked Apple Slices
You may create baked apples each fall, but we’ve stumbled on a combination that’s too good not to share. Baked apple slices, when tumbled in brown butter and roasted with nutty Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Golden Figs becomes the kind of fruit dessert you crave. We prefer Golden Figs in this dessert for their delicate fig flavor that’s mildly sweet and tangy like honey.
How to Serve
Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Or, top a bowl of oatmeal or yogurt.
Easy Baked Apple Slices with Figs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 lb apples peeled, cored, cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup whipped cream lightly sweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a mini casserole dish or 8×8 pan with cooking spray.
- Brown the butter in a skillet set over medium heat, whisking and keeping a quick eye on the butter to ensure it doesn't burn, and sniffing occasionally until the butter smells nutty and begins to take on a light brown color. Once the butter's browned, stir in the cinnamon and cardamom, toasting the spices for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Add figs and apples to brown butter mixture. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt. Toss to coat. Tumble the fruit into the prepared dish.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until fork tender, gently turning the fruit with a wooden spoon 2 times during the cooking period to redistribute the fruit. Meanwhile, toast the pecans.
- Spoon the baked apple slices and sauce into a small bowl. Dollop whipped cream and scatter on pecans right before serving.
Find more ideas for baking with dried figs by following us on Pinterest @valleyfig