This chicken biryani rice is an aromatic, spice-filled, one pot rice and meat dish with a healthy-ish spin. It is light on the rice and heavy on the spices, nuts and Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs! Pair it with a raita or salad and enjoy it with family and friends on those special occasions.
When I make biryani, I like to decrease the amount of rice used – sometimes, I even use quinoa instead. I also increase the amount of chicken and veggies. And, in this recipe, I also added in a hefty dose of pecans and plump and juicy California Figs!
Chicken Biryani with Figs and Nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic smashed and diced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder optional
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 cups salted chicken broth
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup Sun-Maid® or Orchard Choice California Figs
- ¼ cup pecans
- Parsley to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to a pan over medium heat and sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
- Then add in the chicken and sauté till chicken is lightly browned on one side. Flip chicken pieces over, add garlic and ginger and cook another 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, over low heat, roast the coriander and cumin for about a couple of minutes stirring frequently as you don’t want the spices to burn. They will change color and become a tad bit darker during the roasting process. Set aside.
- To the chicken, add the rice, the roasted coriander and cumin, chili powder (if using), turmeric, cloves, cardamom, and chicken broth and stir. Cover and let cook about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and add in the carrots, frozen peas, California Figs and pecans (no need to mix at this point) and let cook about another 5-7 minutes, or till rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Using a fork, fluff and mix the veggies, nuts and California Figs with the lower layers of spiced rice and chicken.
- Sprinkle some parsley, season with salt and pepper (if needed) and enjoy with a cold salad or raita.