Every year, when Easter rolls around, we’ve got an arsenal of recipes we turn to. The main dish is easily our Fig Brown Sugar Glazed Ham and usually we pass around deviled eggs as a starter. But, when it comes to dessert, we crave carrot cake around this time of year and this is a carrot cake recipe to hold onto. Instead of serving tall slices of layer cake, we’re opting for mini bundt cakes, full of sweet Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs and honey cream cheese drizzle on top. Spring forward on this festive dessert to share at celebrations and with carrot cake lovers.
Mini Carrot Bundt Cakes with Figs and Honey Cream Cheese Glaze
For Easter, make mini carrot bundt cakes. Drizzled with honey cream cheese glaze, this Mediterranean-style bundt cake recipe is full of dried California Figs.
Servings 12 cakes
- 1 orange
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped, toasted
Honey Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- 6 ounces cream cheese regular or 1/3 less fat, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- Grate orange peel to make 1 teaspoon zest. Halve orange and ream to make juice. Combine figs and ¼ cup juice in microwave safe bowl (reserve remaining juice for Drizzle); cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 12 mini-Bundt molds with baking spray or oil. Dust with flour and tap out excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs, granulated and brown sugar until blended. Slowly beat in oil, vanilla and orange zest. With spatula, mix in fig mixture and carrots. Gently fold in dry ingredients, just until combined.
- Spoon batter into Bundt molds. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Run a thin knife around edges if needed to help release cakes.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer until blended. Beat in honey, vanilla and enough orange juice to make a frosting of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cakes. Sprinkle with walnuts
Recipe and photo by Lorelle Del Matto