Moist fig cake with Greek yogurt frosting is tangy, tasty, and oh so tempting! Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid California Dried Mission Figs make this cake a possibility all year long.
When it comes to Snacking cake is just a sneaky way of bringing cake into morning or afternoon snacks and we are all in when it comes to this moist fig cake that couldn’t be easier to bake. Essentially, you whisk the dry ingredients, fluff the butter and sugar, and alternate between adding the buttermilk and flour until just combined. Then, you stir in walnuts and California Figs. And, you could stop there, dusting it with powdered sugar. But the Greek yogurt frosting for cake adds a tangy flavor that might make you swipe the bowl. Yogurt, figs, and walnuts are a classic breakfast combination, so we have a hunch you’ll far hard for this moist fig cake.
Moist Fig Cake with Walnuts and Greek Yogurt Frosting
- 9"x9" square cake pan
- standing or handheld mixer
- medium bowl
- cooling rack
Cake with Figs
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg large
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk plus 2 tbsp
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
Frosting with Yogurt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 6 tbsp cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 9 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the 9×9 cake pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt. Set aside.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the cake on a wire rack and cool completely.
- Make the frosting: Beat the yogurt and cream cheese together with a standing or hand-held mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and pinch of salt, and continue beating until light and fluffy. Taste and add more sugar if desired.
- Once the cake has cooled, top with Greek yogurt frosting and garnish with figs.