Incorporating figs into healthy living has deep roots. When you eat figs in healthy dried fig recipes, you join legions of fig lovers throughout history. Did you know the early Olympic athletes used figs as a training food? Figs were also presented as laurels to the winners, becoming the first Olympic “medal.” In Roman times figs were considered to be restorative. They were believed to increase the strength of young people, to maintain the elderly in better health and to make them look younger with fewer wrinkles. –Pliny (52-113 AD).
Today, figs show up as easy snacks to eat out of hand or to incorporate into healthy dried fig recipes. Eating one half cup of figs has as much calcium as drinking one-half cup of milk. They are an excellent source of dietary fiber, and chock full of potassium, iron, and antioxidant-rich. They’re fat-free, cholesterol-free, and sodium-free, helping you meet today’s Dietary Guidelines established by the USDA. And, you don’t have to lean just on dried fig salad recipes to eat well (though we’ve got a bunch of those too!)
At Valley Fig Growers, we aim to be your one-stop shop for Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid California Figs and sell them dried in Mission and Golden varieties, as well as fig spreads, chocolate enrobed figs, and even fig paste. You’ll find an incredible collection of recipes using our figs on our website including healthy dried fig recipes, recipes for special occasions, holidays, weeknight dinner ideas, desserts, snacks, and dried fig salad recipes.
We’ve cast a wide net and pulled together healthy dried fig recipes and dried fig salad recipes from around the internet and our website to inspire your home cooking. Share your favorite healthy dried fig recipe or dried fig salad recipe with us in the comments—whether you’re a home cook who finds recipes online or a blogger!
Dried Fig Salad Recipes
Farro and Fig Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing by Le Petit Eats
Have you ever eaten farro before? This hearty whole grain adds extra heft to a salad that might otherwise be a side dish. Here, dried figs, toasted walnuts, and goat cheese mix with arugula and an addictive maple tahini dressing. Bring this in parts to a picnic or potluck and toss before eating.
Tuscan Salad with Fig Tahini Dressing by Crumb Top Baking
When summer is still a ways off, we turn to this salad. Made with kale, canned white beans, kalamata olives, and tomatoes, the secret sauce to this salad is the fig tahini dressing. Also, we love that because the kale is so sturdy, you can toss the salad in advance and it just gets better with time, letting the flavors marinate.
More Ideas for Your Salad Bowl
- Apple Walnut Fig Salad & Herbed Baked Goat Cheese
- Arugula Salad with Figs, Prosciutto, Walnuts & Parmesan
- Arugula, Escarole Salad with Warm Fig Port Dressing
- Broccoli Salad with Figs
- California Fig and Feta Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Carrot, Fennel, Fig Kale Salad in Orange Honey Dressing
- Chopped Israeli Salad with Figs
- Squash, Fig and Goat Cheese Salad with Maple Balsamic Dressing
- Citrus Salad with Figs
- Greek-Style Chickpea, Chicken & California Fig Salad
- Grilled Halloumi Salad with Quinoa & Dried Figs
- Quinoa Salad with Figs, Orange, Ginger & Mint
- Spinach Salad with Pecans, Pears, Figs & Blue Cheese
- Vegan Kale Salad with Walnuts & Figs
Beyond the Salad Bowl
Chicken Arugula Quinoa Bowls by The Mediterranean Dish
Prep ahead and just assemble right before you eat. Suzy of The Mediterranean Dish even suggested you can buy a rotisserie chicken to make it even easier for lunch or last minute dinner during the work week.
Green Goddess Fig Nourish Bowls by Cotter Crunch
Herby salad dressing teams up with two kinds of greens, spiralized apple, and California dried figs in a gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan meal, making it the kind of light supper or lunch, perfect for oven-free days.
Savory Fig Ricotta Toast by Life, Love, and Good Food
Sometimes you want a light bite either for a snack or even for lunch. This savory fig ricotta toast is your no-bake solution that piles the toppings on high for an open-faced sandwich with arugula, prosciutto, and figs.
More Ideas of Healthy Dried Fig Recipes Beyond the Salad Bowl
- Broccoli, Fig and Goat Cheese Pasta
- Braised Chicken with Fennel and California Dried Figs
- Chickpea Stew with Figs and Tomatoes
- Wild Rice Chicken Salad with Figs
- Fig Ginger Soy Glazed Salmon
- Grilled Chicken with Fig, Pistachio and Lemon Relish
- Harissa-Spiced Chicken Soup with Golden Figs
- Moroccan Vegetable Tagine
- Oven-Roasted Halibut with Onions, Oranges, and Figs
- Sauteed Chicken Cutlets with Garlic Lemon Spinach and Fig Balsamic Sauce