Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese? Something about this cheese sandwich makes us want to melt. But, have you ever tried a Brie grilled cheese? This is a delightful way to dress up a familiar sandwich and the addition of spinach is a great way to get your greens in. We have a hunch that one taste of this spinach grilled cheese with Brie and our Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs will make this a new family favorite.
California Fig, Spinach Grilled Cheese with Brie
- 1 tablespoon butter divided
- 1/4 cup yellow onion sliced
- pinch sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups baby spinach rinsed and drained
- 8 slices Sourdough or Boule bread
- 8 ounces Brie cheese more or less, to taste
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs stemmed and thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 tablespoon butter. Add onions and salt, and cook over low heat for 7-10 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
- In same skillet, melt 1/4 tablespoon butter. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add spinach and stir until wilted.
- ONIONS OPTION: You can skip cooking the onions separately. If so, then DICE the onions, and add them to the skillet 2-3 minutes before adding the garlic.
- Lay 4 slices of bread on a flat surface. Spread cheese equally across all 4 slices of bread. Top with figs and then spinach mixture, all spread equally across bread slices. Cover each with top slice of bread, and butter the outside of the top slices.
- Turn on heat to medium. When skillet is warm, add sandwiches, buttered side down.
- Place another clean skillet on top of sandwiches, and press down. You should hear a little bit of sizzle. Toast bread for 3 minutes. Remove top skillet, and butter the bread. Carefully flip sandwiches over, and replace the clean skillet on top. Toast for another 3 1/2 minutes.
- Remove sandwiches and repeat with remaining sandwiches. Slice sandwiches in half, and serve immediately.