Packed with – literally – all of the good and seasonal things, this vegetarian chopped salad with figs and avocado has been a favorite salad around here as of late and we can’t stop making (and eating) it.
Let’s talk about why each veggie chopped salad ingredient is so extra special – starting with all the greens!
Made up of arugula, romaine, and Mann’s Fresh Vegetables Power Blend Superfood Slaw® (loaded with kale, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts, Napa cabbage, carrots and broccoli), this salad is filled with goodness. These green veggies are wonderful sources of a a variety of nutrients including fiber, antioxidants, calcium, folate, and vitamins C, A, and K.
Brussels sprouts, Napa cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, and lettuce, are all Brassicas, a family of vegetables noted to be stellar for human health, due to their antioxidant content. These particular antioxidants are noted to reduce oxidative stress, induce detoxification enzymes, stimulate the immune system, decrease the risk of certain cancers, inhibit malignant transformation and carcinogenic mutations, as well as, reduce proliferation of cancer cells, according to this 2012 study.
Cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper are deliciously crisp, vitamin C-packed summer veggies. These vegetables are also amazing sources of lycopene, a carotenoid antioxidant shown to reduce and eliminate free radical damage to cells.
The natural sweetness in this veggie chopped salad is thanks to antioxidant-loaded blueberries and fiber-rich Sun-Maid or Orchard Choice California Mission Figs.
Figs are rich in antioxidants and a variety of nutrients including a variety of B vitamins, vitamins A, C, and K, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper, and iron. They provide the perfect sweetness to complement the summer veggies in the salad – and in the dressing.
The dressing!! Trust me, this dressing will become your newest obsession. It’s made with lime juice, California Mission Figs, tahini, olive oil, and a few more pantry staples – and it’s delicious.
Other star ingredients in this vegetarian chopped salad include avocado (hi, healthy fats!), hemp seeds (even more healthy fats and protein) and chickpeas for a boost of plant protein and fiber. Feel free to add in even more seasonal fruits and vegetables to this chopped salad if you’d like (strawberries would also be amazing) and enjoy!
Vegetarian Chopped Salad with Dried Figs and Avocado
Vegetarian Chopped Salad
- 3 cups arugula chopped
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 cups Mann’s Power Blend Superfood Slaw®
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1 cucumber seeded and diced
- 15 ounces chickpeas rinsed and drained, 1 can
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup Orchard Choice® or Sun-Maid® California Mission Figs stems removed
- 2 avocados diced
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
Fig Tahini Dressing
- 2 Orchard Choice® or Sun-Maid® California Mission Figs stems removed
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-6 tablespoons water to thin as necessary
- Prepare the Fig and Tahini dressing: Place all dressing ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add water to thin dressing, as necessary. Pour into a jar and set aside.
- Prepare the vegetarian chopped salad: Add all ingredients (except avocado and hemp seedto a large bowl. Gently toss to combine. Pour in dressing (note, you may not need to use all the dressinand toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds and add in avocado.
- Dish out veggie chopped salad and enjoy!