Moroccan Vegetable Tagine
On meatless Monday, you’ll delight in this vegetable tagine served over quinoa. You could also spoon our Moroccan vegetable tagine over couscous too.
Servings 3 people
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- A dash of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Harissa spice blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or broth of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained (15-ounce )
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Handful fresh parsley leaves
- Cooked quinoa
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Plant-based yogurt
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Parsley
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium for 1-2 minutes. Add onions, increase heat to medium, and saute for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add garlic and the rest of the chopped veggies. Season with salt and spices. Toss to combine. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring regularly.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and California Figs and season with a dash of sea salt.
- Keep the heat on medium-high and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes or until veggies are tender. Stir in chickpeas and cook another 5 minutes on low heat. Stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt or harissa spice blend to your liking.
- Transfer to serving bowls with a large scoop of quinoa and top with the suggested items from pumpkin seeds to fresh parsley according to your liking. Get creative and have fun!
Recipe and photos by Carolyn Vinnicombe