Who doesn’t love muffins? Buttermilk cornbread muffins with corn make a mighty companion to chili, crumbled into soup or even as a salad sidekick. Our rustic cornbread muffins with honey fig butter are kind of addictive, and are a great addition to the picnic basket. Featuring three kinds of corn: corn flour also known as masa harina, coarse cornmeal or polenta, and corn kernels, the muffins are refined flour-free and gluten-free. All you need to get busy baking are two bowls, so they couldn’t be easier to mix and bake. Corn and figs might be unexpected but are a natural duo! Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice Golden Figs and Sun-Maid Calimyrna Figs complement the sunny sweetness of corn. Try the golden fig honey butter on toast, as a base to a pan pasta sauce or even melted on steamed root vegetables like carrots, turnips or even radishes.
Cornbread Muffins with Honey Golden Fig Butter
Cornbread Muffins with Corn
- 2 cups masa harina corn flour
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil cooled
- 1 cup corn kernels optional
Fig Honey Butter
- 8 ounces Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice California Golden Figs or Sun-Maid Calimyrna Figs stems removed (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Flaky sea salt optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Mist two 12-well muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Make Corn Muffins: Mix corn flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, honey, and coconut oil until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until combined, adding in 3/4 cup corn once almost fully mixed. Portion 1/4 cups of batter—it’s going to be thick so you could even pat into balls and place in muffin wells. Lightly press in remaining corn kernels on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes on middle rack or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin before turning out on a plate.
- Make Fig Honey Butter: Place figs, butter, honey, and kosher salt in a food processor. Process until smooth and combined. Scoop out butter with a spatula to serve right away. Or, chill until set: scoop onto parchment paper to roll into a log with ends twisted or spoon into a bowl, covered with plastic wrap. Sprinkle on flaky sea salt just before serving, if desired.