by Tawnie Graham, RD
Figs are quite the fruit—you will think so too with all of the nutrition facts about figs! With their honey-like sweetness and wonderful texture, Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid California Dried Figs are a delicious choice. Learn more about fig nutritional benefits.
Nutrition Facts about Figs
These naturally sweet fruits are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are packed with antioxidants, fiber, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin K and other important nutritional components.
Since dried figs contain less water, they are more concentrated in calories, dietary fiber, vitamin and minerals compared to fresh figs.
The fiber in dried figs helps to increase our satiety and may curb hunger. Most Americans greatly under-consume dietary fiber and just 1 serving of California dried figs (about 4 figs) provides 4 grams of dietary fiber. For reference, it is recommended for women to consume 25 grams of fiber per day and 38 grams for men.
Ounce-for-ounce, dried figs have more dietary fiber than most other common fruits, making them a great choice for maintaining good digestive health.
How to Consume Dried Figs
The great thing about dried figs is you can purchase and consume them year round! They are a wonderful versatile fruit that pairs well with both sweet and savory dishes. They can fit right into your breakfast routine, can be baked into your favorite baked goods or enrich your evening meal as well. Here are a few ideas to try:
- Incorporate them into your favorite energy bites
- Chop them up and top on your morning oatmeal bowl or yogurt bowl (Pro tip: use a pair of kitchen scissors to chop them)
- Dried figs make for a great stand-alone snack
- Use them to build a charcuterie board with your favorite cheese and crackers. These always make for an elegant yet effortless appetizer.
- Toss dried figs on top of your salads
- Add them into trail mix
- Bake them into your favorite muffins or quick breads
- Wrap figs in prosciutto
All in all, dried figs are a tasty fruit and their nutritional value is quite impressive. Boost your nutritional health today and pick up some California Dried Figs!