If you consider all of the eating styles around the world, you’ve probably heard of or perhaps even participate in the Mediterranean diet. And, for good reason. This eating style is recommended by RDs and nutritionists and centers on whole foods. Learn more about it and find Mediterranean diet breakfast recipes and ideas for every meal of the day below.
What is the Mediterranean Diet?
Simply put the term describes the eating model traditional to people in countries surrounding the Mediterranean. Ancel Keys of the University of Minnesota School of Power first coined that term in describing how this particular method of eating positively impacted cardiovascular health. In fact, the AHA writes about its benefits as does the Mayo Clinic.
It is comprised of fruits and vegetables at its core with whole grains, legumes, nuts, olive oil, herbs and spices, healthy proteins like fish and seafood with moderate enjoyment of chicken, eggs, and dairy foods, and infrequent consumption of red meat and sweet foods. You could say that before it was trendy to eat mostly plant-based, this eating style had that market cornered. One of the best resources is the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid and resources from Oldways, a food and nutrition nonprofit charting cultural food traditions.
Figs in the Mediterranean Diet
It probably comes as no surprise that figs, with their deep roots in Mediterranean terrain and culture, are an essential ingredient in the Mediterranean. Dried Figs boast a number of health benefits especially in the areas of fiber, calcium, potassium, and micro-nutrients too. We’ve written about those extensively in our health and nutrition section where you can learn more about each kind of benefit, as written about by registered dietitians and nutritionists.
Recipes + Ideas to Get Started with the Mediterranean Diet
—Mediterranean Diet Breakfast Recipes—
- Cinnamon Apple Fig Overnight Oats
- Yogurt with dried figs, walnuts, and spices
- Whole grain toast with pure nut butter and dried figs tiled on top
- Frittata loaded with vegetables
- Chai Spiced Fig Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Smoothie bowl
- Chia Pudding with Strawberry Fig Relish
- Fig and Nut Bars
—Mediterranean Diet Lunch Recipes—
- Kale and Dried Fig Quinoa Bowls
- Fig Beet Salad with Spiced Yogurt and Watercress (add in cooked garbanzos)
- Warm Lentil Salad with Beets + Balsamic Figs
- Vegetarian Tagine with Quinoa
- Red Pepper + Fig Salad with Cannellini Beans
- Quinoa Salad with Figs, Orange, Ginger + Mint (add in cooked white beans)
- Bitter Greens, Carrot, and Chickpea Salad with Warm Lemon Dressing
- Farro Salad with Figs + Radicchio
- Turkish Pinto Bean Salad
- Pumpkin Hummus with Fig-Olive Gremolata + Whole Grain Pita
—Mediterranean Diet Dinner Recipes—
- Mushroom Veggie Taco Bowls
- Mujaddara (Lentils with Rice in Spices)
- Salmon with Golden Fig Pine Nut Quinoa
- Grilled Chicken with Savory Fig + Wild Rice Dressing
- Chile en Nogada
- Turkey + Fig Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Beet Burgers with Caramelized Onions + Pickled Figs
- Harissa-Spiced Golden Fig + Chicken Soup
- Moroccan Fish, Whole Grain Couscous Packets with Figs + Chermoula